Victim Advocate and Available Services

The following information provides general information on your rights as a crime victim and services available to assist you through the aftermath of the crime. A victim advocate is available to help you know and understand your rights, connect you to available services such as counseling, and assist you in applying for financial assistance with medical bills and other expenses. Because your case may involve interaction with many state and local agencies, an advocate will provide you with support and guidance as well as help you understand the legal system and what happens next in the process.

Victims Compensation Assistance Program
You may be eligible to receive financial help with expenses directly related to the crime (e.g., medical and counseling expenses, loss of earnings, loss of support, stolen cash, relocation, funeral or crime scene clean-up). A compensation form is attached. 

Offender Release Notification 
You can register to receive free, automatic, confidential notifications regarding your offender while he/she is under the supervision of county jails, state prisons, or state parole. To learn more and to register, call 1-866-9PA-SAVIN (1-866-972-7284).
Court Notifications If the crime in which you were a victim is being prosecuted by the district attorney’s office and you would like to be notified as the case moves through the system, please inform your advocate. 

Address Confidentiality Program
You may be eligible for enrollment in the Address Confidentiality Program (ACP) if you are a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking. For more information about ACP, contact your local victim service program or call the ACP at 1-800-563-6399.

Your Rights as a Crime Victim

  • You have the right to receive information about basic services, including your eligibility to receive financial assistance.
  • You have the right to provide input into the sentencing and post-sentencing decisions as well as on the offender’s release, parole, community treatment, work release, etc.
  • If the abuser named in the Protection From Abuse (PFA)order is jailed for either a violation of the order or for a personal injury crime against a victim protected by the order, then you have the right to receive immediate notice of his or her release on bail.
  • You have the right to know the details of the final outcome of your case.
  • You have the right to be accompanied to all criminal court proceedings by a family member, a victim advocate, or a support person.
  • You have the right to be informed about the offender’s status, including bail, escape, release, and arrest.
  • You have the right to receive help in preparing an oral and/or written victim impact statement.

Rights of Domestic Violence Victims

If you are the victim of domestic violence, you have the right to go to court and file a petition requesting an order for protection from domestic abuse pursuant to the Protection From Abuse Act (23 Pa.C.S. Ch. 61) which could include the following: 

  • An order restraining the abuser from further acts of abuse.
  • An order directing the abuser to leave your house.
  • An order preventing the abuser from entering your residence, school, business, or place of employment.
  • An order awarding you or the other parent temporary custody of or temporary visitation with your child or children.
  • An order directing the abuser to pay support to you and the minor children if the abuser has a legal obligation to do so.

Visit the Website:

Down load the attached CRIME VICTIMS Brochure to access forms

PDF icon 4.05.1_attachment_a_-_crimevictims-yourrightsservices.pdf